On June 15, the Women’s Centre is inviting all women to learn about the critical issues facing women in Calgary and to explore systemic and policy-focused solutions required for change. A diverse line-up of local groups committed to the advancement of women’s rights will be leading the day’s discussions.
Some of the workshop topics and presenters include:
- A panel discussion on barriers to women in politics featuring City Councillor Gael MacLeod, Melanee Thomas of Equal Voice and Rachel Notley, MLA for Edmonton-Strathcona
- Afghani Immigrant Women in Calgary: Challenges, Expectations and Opportunities presented by Women’s Development Portfolio – Ismaili Council for Canada
- Changing Canada with Culture and Conversation presented by Idle No More
- Childcare – It Impacts All presented by Women from United Nurses of Alberta
- Devaluing Immigrant Women’s Educational Skills and Economic Contributions presented by Alberta Network for Immigrant Women
- Early Childhood Education For Life! presented by Canadian Federation of University Women
- Equality and Transwomen presented by The Trans Hub
- Human Trafficking: A Look at Local Trends presented by Action Coalition on Human Trafficking (ACT Alberta)
- Life After Conflict with the Law: The Truth About Re-integration presented by Inside Out Action Research Team
- Nowhere Safe to Go presented by Women of Servants Anonymous
- Proud of Our Differences presented by Women from the Disability Action Hall
- Reproductive Justice – Moving Beyond the Pro-Choice Debate presented by Calgary Sexual Health Centre
- Safe & Affordable Housing: A Women’s Perspective presented by Women and Housing
- The Flat Tax is for Fat Cats presented by Women, Creativity and Political Voice and Women Together Ending Poverty
- The Power of Women Connecting in a Neighborhood presented by Bridgeland-Riverside Ladies Network
- Violence Against Women: Visibility and Voice presented by Take Back the Night
- Women and Food Insecurity: How We Are All Connected presented by Oxfam Calgary
- Women and Social Isolation presented by Calgary Vietnamese Women’s Association (Hoi Phu Nu Calgary)
Entertainment includes drumming by Cheryle Chagnon-Greyeyes and Chantal Changon, a musical performance by Vi An Diep, and an art display by the Women’s Art Collective: People Inchoate.
Click here to see the full schedule for the event.