May is Election Season at the Women's Centre. On May 29, Albertans will head to the polls to choose our next provincial government.
The Women’s Centre firmly believes that each and every community member has the potential to influence change on the issues they care about by exercising their right to vote, or to stay informed! This year in particular, we are excited that the two leading parties have strong women at the helm. Women’s representation in political leadership is a key lever of societal equity, inclusion and gender-justice – what we work towards at the Women’s Centre every day!
This May, we are embarking on a coordinated campaign to Get out the Vote!
We want to speak with you about the issues you care about in this election, about the importance of voting, and share ideas on how to engage with the candidates in your area. But most importantly, we want to support each and every eligible member of our community to vote, and support each and every non-voting member of our community to be engaged in the process along the way.
Every day, during the month of May, our volunteers will be equipped to answer questions about voting, share different election platforms, help women find their polling stations and candidates, speak about the issues that matter most to our community and share ways to get involved. No appointment required!
We also have a number of workshops planned:
- Voting in Alberta presented by Elections Alberta; a hybrid presentation (online and in-person) exploring everything you may need to know about voting in Alberta [Tuesday, May 16 10:00 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.]
- Learn About the Election with CIWA; an in-person, interactive workshop tailored for newcomer women to learn about voting in Alberta including a mock-election! [Tuesday, May 23 1:00 P.M. – 3:30 P.M.]
- Vote Walk! Join the Women’s Centre during advanced polling to walk together in community and VOTE! [Two dates to choose from: Tuesday, May 23 and Friday, May 26 at 11:30 A.M.]
To register for any of our upcoming election events, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and visit our Events Calendar to learn more!
If you are passionate about the election and want to speak with other like-minded women, drop in and join us! Host a Kitchen Table Conversation around our table or with your own family and friends.
Stay tuned to our blog for updates, or check out some other resources from our community partners:
- Elections Alberta: Elections Alberta | Chief Electoral Office
- Equal Voice Election Tracker: 2023 Alberta Provincial Election – Equal Voice
- Vibrant Communities Calgary Enough for All Election Blog Post: Provincial election: get informed and challenge candidates | Enough for All
- The Non-Profit Vote: The Nonprofit Vote – Supporting Communities, Changing Lives.