- This event has passed.
Girls Lead YYC
July 21 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, repeating until August 18, 2021
Girls Lead YYC is a program designed for girls Grades 10-12 who want to lead, influence, and participate in collective action to improve their schools, communities, and beyond. As a group of community-minded girls, Girls Lead YYC participants explore different leadership styles and build on existing strengths to move towards creating meaningful social change.
Participants of Girls Lead YYC:
- Build upon their leadership skills, develop some new ones, and learn about topics like community organizing and addressing complex issues
- Connect with other girls who are passionate about making their communities a better and safer place for all girls
- Learn from local change-making women and girls in Calgary about the work they do, and the strategies they use to do it
- Organize a walking tour focused on issues affecting girls at the end of August
- Have opportunities to continue working for change at the Women’s Centre in other ways, such as joining our Girl Connect Conference organizing committee
- Are provided with a reference letter from the Girls Leadership Coordinator upon completion of the program
Girls Lead YYC will meet seven Wednesday evenings from July – August. Sessions will run from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm, and will cover topics like community organizing, strategic communications, movement building, connecting with allies, and addressing systemic barriers and root causes of community problems.
We’re assembling a group of motivated girls who are interested in building a strong network. Sessions will take online for the first few weeks, and we will explore moving to meeting in person at the Women’s Centre of Calgary. This program is free open to anyone who identifies as a girl. All snacks, supplies, and bus tickets are provided.
To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.